Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Detroit, what a place. Mayoral race is taking place and the candidates are:

Kilpatrick - incumbent mayor who's managed to piss off everyone. His time in office has been marred by lay-offs and spending money on cars that the city has no right to own. Oh, and then there's the fact that there may have been some big party at his mansion that involved strippers, and then the strippers going to the hospital for something. And last but not least, his name is attached to what might have been a hit on one of the strippers. Great guy, really...

Hendrix - Former deputy mayor who's son was just arrested for domestic abuse. But that's all that he's got against him. Something is telling me he wins in my book. No dead strippers to his name...


And on another topic:

The class that I'm long term subbing for says the pledge of allegiance every morning. That's their routine, and i kind of feel like changing it, but I'm not sure what other implications that might have (and besides there's an aide in the who really loves the tradition and I think would pitch a fit if I let it die). So, this morning we rise to say the pledge and one girl asks, "If I don't agree with this country and would like to move out of it, do I have to say the pledge?" I was taken a bit aback by this, but in the end, had to tell the girl that it was her right to sit during the pledge since she is a US Citizen. Sounds stupid, but on the fly I couldn't think of any reason why I had to make her stand other than I wanted her to. I mean, free speech gives you the right not to say the pledge I guess. I think I'm going to research this a little. Maybe we can have a little class project about this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_State_Board_of_Education_v._Barnette

January 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home